There are six primary algorithms LPR software requires for identifying a license plate:
- Plate localization - responsible for both finding and isolating the plate on the picture.
- Plate orientation and sizing - compensates for the plate's skew, and adjusts dimensions to the required size.
- Normalization - adjusts both the brightness and contrast of the image.
- Character segmentation - finds the individual characters on the plates.
- Optical character recognition.
- Syntactical/Geometrical analysis - checks characters and positions against country-specific rules.